Trouble auto-mounting with a PCMCIA flash reader...

I've got a PCMCIA SD/xD/SM reader and I'm having trouble getting it to automount.

Unlike USB card readers that I've used, the media doesn't show up as a /dev/sd* device, but as /dev/hde (it's the 3rd IDE interface... with my hard drive being hda and my cdrom being hdc). I can mount the flash drive manually by using /dev/hde1, but automounting has proved elusive.

I've downloaded the 'automount' package and configured that according to the howto's I've found on the net... but it doesn't seem to ever detect or take any action upon insertion of the media card.

I've seen a few references to using "subfs", but I'm not sure that that's in my stock 2.6.18 kernel.

Does anybody have any tips?

- Joe