Re: kernel 2.6.19 + Cisco 350 Wireless adapter needs manual config

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 22:13:44 +0100, Mauro Darida wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2007 18:41, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> > thats clearly a bug of UDEV. I suggest you purge
> > ifrename
> > udev
> > and delete the /etc/udev /etc/hotplug
> > (a backup is always nice)
> > and then make a fresh reinstall of udev.
> ifrename it is not installed on my system; I did what you suggested and now my
> card is not recognised at all. Tried also modprobe airo with no results.
> Noticed the following message at boot-up:
> udev_rules_init:
> /etc/udev/rules.d/z99_hal.rules: no such file or directory
>
> Any suggestion?

It is normally not a good idea to start deleting directories in /etc,
unless you know exactly what you are doing. I think you should first
restore /etc/udev and /etc/hotplug. If you did not make backups you will
have to reinstall all packages which are supposed to have files in these
directories. (z99_hal.rules comes from package "hal", for example.)

The following two commands should give you a list of all packages which
you have to reinstall:

dpkg -S etc/udev/ | cut -d: -f1 | sed 's/, /\n/g' | sort -u
dpkg -S etc/hotplug/ | cut -d: -f1 | sed 's/, /\n/g' | sort -u

Reboot after you have reinstalled all the packages. Then we have to
check your network interface naming rules. For a start we need the
output of the following two commands:

ip link
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

--
Regards,
          Florian