Re: Xwindows doesn't start on new install

modconf shows:
kernel/drivers/video/nvidia
so i tried that, but no joy.
I've now tried vesa, nv, and nvidia with no effect.

I then tried:
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nv
but no effect

Then, in modconf, i saw this:
kernel/drivers/video/nvidia

so I selected in for install.
This had an effect but not a desirable one.
Xwindows doesn't come up, but the screen size in the terminal is now larger than the screen such that I can't see what I am typing.
I may have to start over with debian :(

sdpatt2@gmail.com wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is recent troubles we've seen during
installs with Xorg when the user selects repositories from contrib and
non-free during the repository selection phase of the install.

My laptop intel i910 adapter was incorrectly identified as radeon card,
and fglrx was installed instead of the proper stuff alldue to my being a
little overeager at the start.

food for thought...

Dave