ThinkPads

Hi, perhaps this subject is worn out, but I have some questions about
Thinkpads, the laptops of choice for Linux, for those of you who are
familiar with them.  It may not all be questions, some is comments to
verify.

Video acceleration:
All I can find is ATI or Intel video chipsets...  but I've heard say
that ATI (3D acceleration) is a pain to get working.  I've had some
trouble myself for older cards (mine was Radeon 7200, not supported at
all, although it did work at one point on FC5), but do some of the
cards work without problems?  The Intel ones provide 3D acceleration,
but what is the difference in performance between a 128MB nvidia card
and an Intel integrated chipset that can share ~200MB of the regular
memory?  If the Intel chipsets provide decent 3D acceleration, I may
as well go with it.  Here's what seems to be available for video:
Integrated Intel 945GM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 64MB
ATI Mobility Fire GL V5200 256MB
ATI Mobility Fire GL V5250 256MB

From what I see on thinkwiki.org, none of the three ATI chipsets
listed here "just work", but the Intel ones do, without any
proprietary drivers.  The two Intel ones are supported by the i810
drivers.

UltraBay Enhanced:
It seems that I can use a CD/DVD drive in this bay or a regular hard
drive.  So I should be able to get a "Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay
Adapter" and a hard drive from Newegg and have a second hard drive
ready to go.  The bay supports hot-swapping; will I be able to remove
the hard drive or CD/DVD drive with Debian running?

I guess that's all for now, thanks lots.
My internet access is intermittent, so my replies may not be prompt.