Re: ThinkPads

Hi,

there is a thinkpad ML .. your question would get there more answers..

On Don, 04 Jän 2007, Owen Heisler wrote:

> Video acceleration:
> All I can find is ATI or Intel video chipsets...  but I've heard say
> that ATI (3D acceleration) is a pain to get working.
thats true, but not only DRI is a show stopper, power management is also..

> I've had some
> trouble myself for older cards (mine was Radeon 7200, not supported at
> all, although it did work at one point on FC5), but do some of the
> cards work without problems?
All cards up to ATI 9600 should work. But for cards from 9200->9600 the free
driver don't support power management, so they really get hot...

> The Intel ones provide 3D acceleration,
> but what is the difference in performance between a 128MB nvidia card
> and an Intel integrated chipset that can share ~200MB of the regular
> memory?  If the Intel chipsets provide decent 3D acceleration, I may
> as well go with it.  Here's what seems to be available for video:
> Integrated Intel 945GM

the intel isn't the fastest, its about factor 10 in speed.. so for 3D games
the intel card is suited but not for the highend ones.

> >From what I see on thinkwiki.org, none of the three ATI chipsets
> listed here "just work", but the Intel ones do, without any
> proprietary drivers.  The two Intel ones are supported by the i810
> drivers.

thats true.

> UltraBay Enhanced:
> It seems that I can use a CD/DVD drive in this bay or a regular hard
> drive.  So I should be able to get a "Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay
> Adapter" and a hard drive from Newegg and have a second hard drive
> ready to go.  The bay supports hot-swapping; will I be able to remove
> the hard drive or CD/DVD drive with Debian running?

yes. thats a kernel feature, so if you use a 2.6.19 or newer it will just
work.

> I guess that's all for now, thanks lots.

np

--
Florian Reitmeir