Re: HP Compaq nx6125 sound problem

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:11:10 +0100, João Santos wrote:
> 2006/6/16, Florian Reitmeir:
> >
> >On Fre, 16 Jun 2006, João Santos wrote:
> >
> >> I've recently installed debian in my laptop and everything works fine
> >> except the sound.
> >> When I try to use some program that uses sound I get the error: "Device
> >> dev/dsp does not exist". How can I solve this?
> >
> >this message indicates the application is searching for an OSS sound
> >driver.
> >
> >make sure:
> >- you've run as root, "alsaconf" from the package "alsa-utils"
> >- your user is in the group "audio"
> >- lsmod | grep oss is hittig some alsa modules
> >
> >if above isn't helping you, please post the output of "lspci"
> >
> >--
> >Florian Reitmeir
> >

> when I run alsaconf it says that no supported PnP or PCI card was found.
>
> The output of lspci is:

[...]

> 0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown
> device 4 370 (rev 02)

Googling for this turns up information about sound on a Toshiba with the
same soundcard:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/triffid/toshiba/installLinux.html

The instructions involve some compiling, but the guy uses an older
version of Red Hat; newer kernels might have the driver included
already. The easiest thing for you could be to install a backport of the
2.6.16 kernel. (The required module is "atiixp", but the 2.6.8 version
might be too old to include support for your chipset.)

--
Regards,
          Florian