Re: HP Compaq nx6125 sound problem

On Fre, 16 Jun 2006, João Santos wrote:

> I've recently installed debian in my laptop and everything works fine
> except the sound.
> When I try to use some program that uses sound I get the error: "Device
> dev/dsp does not exist". How can I solve this?

this message indicates the application is searching for an OSS sound driver.

make sure:
- you've run as root, "alsaconf" from the package "alsa-utils"
- your user is in the group "audio"
- lsmod | grep oss is hittig some alsa modules

if above isn't helping you, please post the output of "lspci"

--
Florian Reitmeir