Debian release cycle question

Hi Debian users,

I have question regarding the Debian release cycle. The packages from
unstable stay for few days before moving to testing. Can someone
enlighten me, what do the packages do in the testing? Debian release
circle can be 1-2 years. Do the packages need to stay for such long
time in the testing?

For example, if package A version 1.0 enters unstable. Ten days later,
it moves to testing. Six months later, package A release version 1.1.
which goes directly to unstable. Ten more days later, it moves to
testing. What happened to the previous version 1.0 in testing? If every
packages in testing experience this, when can the distro be released?

Why not just put 6 months - 1 year release plan. Just some time before
the release just fix everything in the testing and release the distro?

Regards,
Rony