Re: Debian release cycle question

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 07:55, Rony wrote:
> Hi Debian users,
>
> I have question regarding the Debian release cycle. The packages from
> unstable stay for few days before moving to testing. Can someone
> enlighten me, what do the packages do in the testing? Debian release
> circle can be 1-2 years. Do the packages need to stay for such long
> time in the testing?

Yes.  That's why stable is called "stable" and not "drive your IT guy nuts
with a constant stream of updates of minor importance, mutual
incompatability, and random breakage on upgrade."  If you want
Fedora/Mandrake/RedHat/etc, you know where to get it.  :o)

> For example, if package A version 1.0 enters unstable. Ten days later,
> it moves to testing. Six months later, package A release version 1.1.
> which goes directly to unstable. Ten more days later, it moves to
> testing. What happened to the previous version 1.0 in testing? If every
> packages in testing experience this, when can the distro be released?

About once when everything works together to the release manager's
satisfaction.

> Why not just put 6 months - 1 year release plan. Just some time before
> the release just fix everything in the testing and release the distro?

If you really need someone to answer this for you, go ask Red Hat what happens
you release a new version with an experimental compiler and sub-par testing
(RH6x anyone?).

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber