Re: Hostap PCMCIA driver problem

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:16:51 +0100
Jaime Martin Jimenez <jaime.martin@uc3m.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop with a USR2410 PCMCIA Wireless
> card. This card works fine with orinoco_cs or hostap_cs modules.
> Hostap is better because it allows monitor mode, fewer bugs than
> orinoco, better signal, etc.
>
> My problem is that Debian testing uses orinoco by default and I'm
> trying to use hostap module. I have replaced orinoco_cs to hostap_cs
> in /etc/pcmcia/config and I have added orinoco_cs to blacklist
> modules.
>
> If I insert the PCMCIA card, hostap module is not loaded, but if I
> execute:
>
> $ cardmgr -f
>
> yes, it does. What's the problem?
>
> Regards,
> Jaime

I am not sure what your problem is, but cardmgr is not on my system. I believe it was a part of pcmcia-cs, which is deprecated in favor of pcmciautils. Also, hotplug has been replaced with udev.

You might want to give pcmciautils and udev a try, as they are the "latest and greatest". If you do, be sure to purge hotplug and pcmcia-cs. And keep a copy of your pcmcia-cs and hotplug debs around in case something goes wrong and you can't get a network going under pcmciautils/udev.

Clayton