Re: Laptop recommendation

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 06:56, Micha wrote:
> While TP are well known for good battery performance and solid
> hardware crafting (but Lenovo may level the niveau now, probably
> even IBM would have been urged to do so), many people are looking
> for a desktop replacement which mostly is on main power and has
> good multimedia capabilities, and a wide screen. Ideally, something
> in the way of a Apple Powerbook....
>
> It's no bad idea to also look up what machines are shipped with
> preinstalled Linux. For example, http://www.emperorlinux.com/ offers
> Thinkpads, Dell Latitude, Sony Vaio, and Sharp Actius; some of these
> with WUXGA (1920x1200) wide screen. I'd recommend a dual-core
> CPU in any case, if only because they produce less heat and should be
> more quiet, under comparable load. Tuxmobil maintains lists at
> http://tuxmobil.org/reseller.html and
> http://tuxmobil.org/laptop_manufacturer.html
> (some links are obsolete as it's a rapid marked anyway).
>
> Rather icky seemed to be, at least in the past, Acer for their
> special BIOS features, perhaps someone can confirm that.
IMHO, opinion it's a good idea to buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled,
specially if they give you online support. A few month ago when I buyed my
laptop, I did some preliminary test to see if it can run linux on it (video
acceleration,screen resolution). I was happy at the moment with the results,
but it turned out it wasn't enough.

My experience is that configuring a laptop could be a long and tedious task. I
don't mind doing so, but maybe is because i'm a little patient.

Just doing  a little google search a found this link:
http://mcelrath.org/laptops.html
Maybe is a good start.

Regards,
			Yoanis