Re: Getting swsusp with stock kernel to work [solved]

André Wendt schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> after over a year with custom-compiled kernels that solved problems I
> never had before :-), I switched back to Debian's stock kernel today.
>
> After re-compiling all necessary modules, I thought I'd give hibernate
> with swsusp a try (once again).
>
> Swsusp is suspending the machine (to disk) alright, but it does not
> resume -- it restarts, and later complains about something with the swap
> space: /var/log/syslog says
>
> "Unable to find swap-space signature"
>
> Somewhere I found that the DisableWriteCacheOn may be helpful for the
> particular partition, but this just resulted in a suspend-to-disk that
> took over 15 minutes! Someone's gotta be kidding here...
>
> Has *anyone* successfully got swsusp working with the hibernate package?
> BTW, I'm using a Thinkpad T41p with testing, kernel package 2.6.17-2-686
> and initrd.

If anyone's interested:

I finally solved the problem -- I was still using initrd-tools instead
of initramfs-tools. I consider myself lucky finding that information
somewhere online. So I re-installed the linux-image package with
initramfs-tools after attempting to update-initramfs which failed.

Everything works now, but I still have trouble with gnome-power-manager
telling me that suspend failed after a successful resume.

Some things are still broken and GPM does not offer all options in their
properties dialog (which is most annoying), but suspend-to-disk and
resume finally works!

Regards,
André