Getting swsusp with stock kernel to work

Hi,

after over a year with custom-compiled kernels that solved problems I
never had before :-), I switched back to Debian's stock kernel today.

After re-compiling all necessary modules, I thought I'd give hibernate
with swsusp a try (once again).

Swsusp is suspending the machine (to disk) alright, but it does not
resume -- it restarts, and later complains about something with the swap
space: /var/log/syslog says

"Unable to find swap-space signature"

Somewhere I found that the DisableWriteCacheOn may be helpful for the
particular partition, but this just resulted in a suspend-to-disk that
took over 15 minutes! Someone's gotta be kidding here...

Has *anyone* successfully got swsusp working with the hibernate package?
BTW, I'm using a Thinkpad T41p with testing, kernel package 2.6.17-2-686
and initrd.

Regards,
André