Re: ACPI support on Compaq Presario 2500

(I hope you don't mind me stepping in Jörg i just had a related
problem here)

Jörg's tracking was straightforward so far, and i think he's
right to suggest a close look at the hardware at this point.

> # dmidecode 2.8
>
>	Vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
>	Version: KF_KH.F.24
>	Release Date: 10/26/2004

There's a newer BIOS available.
Since your dmesg contains ACPI errors, I would try to
upgrade the BIOS first before any further tracking.
There use to be instructions on the respective website (phoenix).
Usually it boils down to run a .exe from a windows, but there
are other approaches through different tools, also for linux.
Certainly this list has support if needed.

>Processor Information
>	Socket Designation: WMT478/NWD
>	Type: Central Processor
>	Family: Pentium 4

Should be a P 4-M. Admittedly i can't decide exactly, but i think you've
got quicker access to the exact specs than me.
Try to search /var/log/kern.log, since your dmesg was cut off.
It's important to know which speedstep module you should look
for.
It's still not always easy, for example if cpuid reports Pentium Pro, you have
to know that Pentium M was derived from the P-III Pro line (and not P4).
FYI:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentium4/sb/CS-007487.htm
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/mobilepentium4/index.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentium4/sb/CS-007499.htm
http://www.bay-wolf.com/speedstep.htm

>	Manufacturer: Intel
>	ID: 29 0F 00 00 FF F9 EB BF
>	Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 2, Stepping 9
>	Flags:
>		FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
>		VME (Virtual mode extension)
>		DE (Debugging extension)
>		PSE (Page size extension)
>		TSC (Time stamp counter)
>		MSR (Model specific registers)
>		PAE (Physical address extension)
>		MCE (Machine check exception)
>		CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
>		SEP (Fast system call)
>		MTRR (Memory type range registers)
>		PGE (Page global enable)
>		MCA (Machine check architecture)
>		CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
>		PAT (Page attribute table)
>		PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
>		CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
>		DS (Debug store)
>		ACPI (ACPI supported)
>		MMX (MMX technology supported)
>		FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
>		SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
>		SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
>		SS (Self-snoop)
>		HTT (Hyper-threading technology)

Hyperhtreading points to M-4,  also 1024 K of L2 Cache
(though there's only 512 K installed it seems).

>		TM (Thermal monitor supported)
>		PBE (Pending break enabled)
>	Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4
>	Voltage: 1.2 V
>	External Clock: Unknown
>	Max Speed: 2667 MHz
>	Current Speed: 2667 MHz

But i wonder why your attached dmesg doesn't mention power states.
Maybe that was already expired. (dmesg is a ringbusffer with limited capacity).
--> less -p "thrott" /var/log/kern.log

I can see these messages here on a Pentium-M:
"Oct  6 16:55:03 lynx kernel: ACPI: Processor [CPU0] (supports 8 throttling states)"

The safe way to proceed would be, upgrade the BIOS, install a recent 2.6.18 kernel
source, get a proper .config file from the net, (any 2.6.xy should do), make oldconfig,
plus make menuconfig to adjust to your specific hardware (according to the manual
or windows system information), and try to set anything as modular as possible. except
access to the root filesystem, and other reasonable boot-up stuff. Compile without initrd
(man make-kpkg).
Then update your debian (Sid), and look if powernowd is runing.

Yoanis Gil Delgado <fred@uh.cu>:

| On Friday 06 October 2006 03:24, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
| > Yoanis Gil Delgado wrote:
| > > root@hogwarts:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0# modprobe acpi-cpufreq
| > > FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
| > > (/lib/modules/2.6.16-2-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufr
| > >eq.ko): No such device
| > >
| > > :(
| > >
| > > Regards,
| > > Yoanis.
| >
| > Sorry, now I am helpless. Just for completeness I would like to see the
| > content of "/var/log/dmesg" which shows what hardware has been found
| > during booting, and the output of "dmidecode" which shows information
| > about harware and BIOS.
| >
| > Regards,
| > Jörg-Volker.
| These is the output from the commands you requested.
| Regards,
| Yoanis

Good luck,

 m°