Re: Toshiba A105-S2101 Laptop - minor issues

Hi,

> > The 2.6.15 & 2.6.17 kernels work well, although 2.6.16 seems to cause
> > the audio to "loop".
did a recent kernel (2.6.18) or new alsa drivers resolve the issue?

> > The internal network card works without any problems.  The internal
> > modem and wireless networking don't as yet.

wireless is atheros, so your driver is "mad wifi"
http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

modem is some kind of softmodem, normally they are part of the soundcard, so
if the soundcard isn't working there is no point in testing the modem..

> > Also, I have read that the Madwifi packages might not currently work
> > with the internal wireless.  I would prefer using the Madwifi over the
> > ndiswrapper because I think it would handle upgrades better in the
> > long term (speculation on my part).
read, why not tested?

> > Worst case, I will use the ndiswrapper-modules when they are updated
> > for the 2.6.17 kernels.  Right now they are available for 2.6.16, but
> > that kernel gives me audio problems.
why using windows-binary drivers with unknown quality, when there are linux
drivers from the vendor?

> > Video seems to work fine.  I don't have the ATI driver installed, so I
> > just am using whatever xorg chose.  I suppose I could install ATI
> > binaries and gain 3D video, but I would prefer to keep everything
> > "apt-able".

there is a ati, fglrx package
fglrx-driver
fglrx-kernel-src
fglrx-control

> > With all that said, has anyone managed to get the modem, wireless, and
> > anything I might not have checked yet (dvd control buttons, etc.)
> > working?  When I get this finished I will put a report on the Linux on
> > Laptops page and related sites.  Again, I would prefer to use as much
> > "apt-able" sources as possible to minimise my error.
for the toshiba buttons..
there are two other packages

toshset - Access much of the Toshiba laptop hardware interface
toshutils - Toshiba laptop utilities

--
Florian Reitmeir