debian and samba for newbie WAS: IBM thinkpad 600(how good)

Hello Edward,

I would go and answer your question. When you post to a mailing list,
you should follow some minimum guidelines:

- post to the right mailing list. While debian and samba can be used on
laptops they are not laptop specific. You should post to
debian-user@debian.org

- start a new message. Don't reply to an post, if you don't contribute
to that mail.

- choose a subject that relates to your question.

Edward Song wrote:
I have some old machines that I want to use for a file share using Debian
and Samba. I am pretty much a linux newbie, but I can navigate around. I have tons of
experience in windows environments and development, so most things I can
figure out.

I'm writing to this list just looking for a basic opinion.
Is it difficult for a newbie to setup a Samba server on Debian?  Is there
another flavor of Linux I should choose considering my experience level with
Linux for quicker implementation.

I guess setting up a samba server on debian is about as easy or
difficult on debian as on any other distro. It's the same software. You
might try swat, if you prefer 'clicking' to manually editing config files.
(read 'man swat' before getting started with swat on debian.)

The main limitation is the machine running 256 MB of RAM and my experience
in Linux.  I could even upgrade the memory to 512 MB.

This is more than plenty for a samba server. Linux is just so much more
efficient with resources than Window$... More memory is only required
for very heavy usage of that server, say as domain controller and file
server for many clients. Or if you prefer a heavy desktop environment.
See the links on
http://www.de.debian.org/releases/stable/
for further hints.

Can anyone suggest a linux distribution that would suit me well.  Thanks for
your insight and input in advance.

It's a matter of taste of course. I think your task could be
accomplished by more or less any major distro. I guess you might get a
quicker start on one of the more newbie oriented polished distros (I
used suse before debian), but debian is rock solid. That'll probably pay
off in the long run. At least it did for me. YMMV.

Johannes