Re: getting correct time on a laptop (IBM ThinkPad T23)

Martin,

Sorry for the late answer. And excuse me if i'm way off because i can't
search  for the thread right now.

| When network is up, I add a at job to handle chrony at a later time.
| Background: My DSL router my take some time to initialize the DSL

An additional measurement is, to trigger initialization as soon as
possible, eg.  by pinging the timeserver right when the interface is set
up, and do the time call later. That's for booting. If we talk about
daily time updates, you still could  ping the timeserver on a regular
schedule, so the DSL connection won't get idle.

You're really sure it needs chrony for that ? Perhaps it may be
sufficient to update  time via ntp-client (package ntpdate) say once a
day ? If the clock is running wild,  anyway, i'd also have a look at the
clock battery, usually a CR2032 or something  smaller. They are finished
after 3 - 5 years.

( * You're aware that only setting up the laptop network interface
doesn't trigger the assignment of a new outbound WAN-IP, which
may need some 10 seconds,  depending on your provider, nor does it
necessarily relaunch this modem interface at all, depending on your
setting. A continuous ping leaves you on the safe side anyway)