Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

marlin9@gmx.ch wrote:

> This is an interesting thread, i have the same questions.
>
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
>
> | It's relevant to the question because it was suggested that laptop
> | drives shouldn't be in use 24/7, but we've been able to spin them down
> | when
> | inactive for years - and now apparently when moved, too.  So this isn't
> | why we need to consider shutdowns.
>
> There's some check and cleanup stuff boot and init processes.
> I wonder if a hibernating machine would have to do some of this
> for each wakeup too.

It doesn't _have_ to be done on boot, either.  It's essentially done to make
sure the system wasn't just powered down when the disk's were still active.
In the case of a successful hibernation, that can't happen - if the disks
weren't synced, there won't be a valid hibernation partition, and on
power-up you'll end up doing the full cold start.

> There's an (experimental) 'kexec-call' option to switch kernel on-the-fly.
> I hope this will work well some day, at least in defined environments.
> Imagine to compile anything on demand within the running system some
> day....

Yow!  Scary stuff.
--
derek