Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

Nate Duehr wrote:
Russell L. Harris wrote:

The situation is not simple.

You also missed that most laptops now have an accelerometer in them for shock protection and the drive is parked every time certain acceleration forces are happening to the laptop.

Just carrying mine across the room (IBM T43) is enough to stop drive activity temporarily unless I use their "ignore small repetitive shocks" setting.

Nate

This may be true for WinJunk OS, but not for Linux yet unless you one has some sw in development phase.

My thinkpads are/were almost always connected but often placed in suspend>mem. Why would anyone want to spend $ for waste electrons unless you really need to keep warm.

It is like leaving your car running all day (although perhaps a good idea to get a gadget to use the car as a generator for frige during a power outage which I recently had).