Re: Shutdown my Laptop? Why should I?

George Hein wrote:

> Nate Duehr wrote:
>>
>> You also missed that most laptops now have an accelerometer in them for
>> shock protection and the drive is parked every time certain acceleration
>> forces are happening to the laptop.
>>
>> Just carrying mine across the room (IBM T43) is enough to stop drive
>> activity temporarily unless I use their "ignore small repetitive shocks"
>> setting.
>>
> This may be true for WinJunk OS, but not for Linux yet unless you one
> has some sw in development phase.

I'm not at all sure what you're saying here - Nate seems to be telling us
that IBM's are installing this in _hardware_, so it will make no difference
to the OS.

It's relevant to the question because it was suggested that laptop drives
shouldn't be in use 24/7, but we've been able to spin them down when
inactive for years - and now apparently when moved, too.  So this isn't why
we need to consider shutdowns.

> My thinkpads are/were almost always connected but often placed in
> suspend>mem.  Why would anyone want to spend $ for waste electrons
> unless you really need to keep warm.

I never shutdown my laptop, except to switch kernels (definitely not for
other upgrades).  I do, however, hibernate it at least twice daily.  This
is exactly the question the OP asked.
--
derek