Re: X.org on Debian Sarge

The best solution for me is edit the /etc/apt/preferences file.
For example in my case is:

Package: *
Pin: origin security.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 999

Package: *
Pin: origin mirror.hamakor.org.il
Pin-Priority: 999

Package: *
Pin: origin www.backports.org
Pin-Priority: 50

The first two sources are official sources. Backport sources have priority 50, this assure the behavior of update only the packages that aren't in the official source (priority 999).
Provably will be a good idea read "man 5 apt_preferences".

  Good luck,
         Gustavo

B Thomas wrote:
Hi,

I tried upgrading to X.org 6.9 from backports.org so that
I could get Xvideo working with the fglrx ATI drivers for
my x1400 Radeon card. I can't get Xvideo working with
the vesa drivers either (I would prefer open source
drivers if I could but without xvideo and yv12 overlays
xine can hardly play DVDs).

I followed the instructions on how to use apt pinning to
do this, as prescribed by backports.org. However when
I try to do apt-get upgrade, apt tries to upgrade about
135 packages including things like exim4. I see no
reason why this sould be, and would like to stay with
debian stable for everything else (except X11/X.org).

Is there any way to just upgrade the x11 packages to x.org ? Is it safe and advisable ?

regards
b thomas