X.org on Debian Sarge

Hi,

I tried upgrading to X.org 6.9 from backports.org so that
I could get Xvideo working with the fglrx ATI drivers for
my x1400 Radeon card. I can't get Xvideo working with
the vesa drivers either (I would prefer open source
drivers if I could but without xvideo and yv12 overlays
xine can hardly play DVDs).

I followed the instructions on how to use apt pinning to
do this, as prescribed by backports.org. However when
I try to do apt-get upgrade, apt tries to upgrade about
135 packages including things like exim4. I see no
reason why this sould be, and would like to stay with
debian stable for everything else (except X11/X.org).

Is there any way to just upgrade the x11 packages to
x.org ? Is it safe and advisable ?

regards
b thomas