Re: Proper way to configure input devices

On 8/1/06, Christian Schuerer <debian.lists@quincunx.at> wrote:

Another problem is the speed of the mouse: the new one has a resolution of
800dpi, which obviously makes the mouse faster. Even little movements result
in a jumping, fast moving pointer on the screen. This makes selecting of e.g.
small icons on my desktop quite hard, as it got more difficult to controll
the movement of the mouse. I tried to set the acceleration-setting for the
mouse pointer in the KDE control centre, but this doesn't show any effect
(even after restarting KDE). I read a suggestion to configure the mouse via
xset (e.g. xset m 5 10), but this doesn't show any effect either. Does anyone
know why the mouse-settings don't show any effect? What am I missing? It

This is my solution to reduce the mouse speed. It works fine for me, however, I am pretty sure there are smarter solutions:
Besides the settings in KDE control center, the mouse speed can be influenced by xset, however, I found that when launching KDE all prior settings are overwritten by the KDE settings. It is therefore necessary to create a startup script ~/.kde/Autostart/startup which is executed after KDE is launched.
#!/bin/bash
# ~/.kde/Autostart/startup
xset m 1/8 1

Make this file executable. Check the manpage for xset and play with the parameters until you have found the proper setting.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn