Re: losing mails

Hi,

On my laptop I run Postfix to send mails. I receive mails from my
gmail account using fetchmail.

I'm using Maildir format for mail storage. In Postfix, I'm using
procmail for mail delivery.
I've also set certain rules in my .procmailrc file to filter mails.

I use the very same setup for unattended backups of my gmail account.
Didn't loose any single mail.

2) Should I instead use Qmail.

Works well with postfix. Should also work well with exim.

3) Why is this happening and where might have the lost mails gone ?

Try to put a catch-all rule at the end of your .procmailrc .
Did you put a slash at the end of your procmail rule to instruct
procmail to use the Maildir format?

example :
:0

You needn't consider the cur/new stuff in procmail. Simply say Maildir/

4) What configuration settings people use on their laptops in the
context of mail ?

I use UUCP over SSH. It's great for laptops if you own a server.
To use your laptop with gmail, the difficult part is sending mail.
There is an howto but it seems complicated.
http://souptonuts.sourceforge.net/postfix_tutorial.html

5) Is there any good Email Laptop HOWTO ?

Don't know of any.

Cheers,