Re: yaird, kernel 2.6.17 and dm-crypted disks

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 02:56:54PM +0200, Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade my laptop from stable to testing including new kernel.
> My problem is, all partitions are encrypted except /boot and for security
> reasons I have encryption keys stored on encrypted USB flash disk.
>
> I used kernel 2.6.13 and mkinitrd with my script, which detects plugged USB
> flashdisk, set up and mount dm-crypted partition on it (asking for a
> password) and using information and scripts stored there to set up dm-crypted
> partitions on harddisk.
>
> Problem is, I can't find a way how to configure yaird to ignore encrypted
> disks and let my script set it up. And i didn't find a way to configure it
> properly via /etc/crypttab.

Why should yaird ignore the encrypted disks? Afaik it should be able to
handle your configuation. What exactly is the problem with /etc/crypttab?
And what is the overall problem anyway? Does yaird fail to create the
initrd or it it missing things? Some error messages would help.

> I was also considering initramfs-tools, but they depend on udev, which refuses
> to install due old kernel (i have 2.6.13, they want 2.6.15) and to install
> new kernel i need working initrd :o/

You could allways boot a knoppix (the later versions have udev afaik).
Mount your disks and create the initrd in a chroot environment.

michael