Re: i855crt gives very "washed-out", bright colours on external crt

> I have used debian etch with a similar graphics cad and xorg-x11, and I
> could switch to external monitor by pressing FN-F5, but i had to use
> i855crt in debian stable and ubuntu breezy.  I don't if it would work for
> you, but try that and see if it works.  Also I tried this in 2005, so it
> may have changed. I855crt didn't work for me in etch then either.  I have a
> compaq presario 2210ca, not sure what the graphics card is, but is similar
> to that.

Pressing these keys does not work unfortunately.

But I am getting nearer to the problem. It seems as if too few colors (maybe
just 8) are transported to the external crt.

Please see this image:
http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~nachtiga/bugs/screenshot_i855crt_big_terminal_font.jpg
(32k)

The black/white terminal font looks very good. But outside of the term, where
there is a grey and all other kind of colors it is very bright, so that
hardly anything is recognizable (e.g. the task panel at the bottom or the
panels of the terminal). Maybe the brightness is caused by squeezing the
colors into the 8 colors, so that e.g. yellow or grey becomes white and brown
becomes black.

Could this also be cause by wrong settings in the xorg.conf, or is this
unrelated to xorg (because the upgrade to Xorg from XFree86 is maybe the
thing I could make up during the upgrade which could have caused this)?

jens