i855crt gives very "washed-out", bright colours on external crt

Hi,

I have a laptop with an i855 graphic card (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 7400) and
used to use i855crt to enable my external crt (for use with a beamer). This
worked fine until some time ago I upgraded to etch (from sarge) and since
then I get a white, "washed-out", external screen. An image says more than
1000 words:
http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~nachtiga/bugs/screenshot_i855crt_washout.jpg
(82k, take with a camera from the beamer)

[
This is what it looks like on the lcd (same snapshot)
http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~nachtiga/bugs/screenshot_i855crt_lcd.jpg
136k
]

Searching for a solution I came across this thread, which suggests that also
some ubuntu and fedora users have the same problem:
"i855crt - White / Saturated External Display" --
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89493

Anybody seen this as well? Anybody knowing a solution?

TIA,

Jens

PS If you need more information, I can provide them.