Re: i855crt gives very "washed-out", bright colours on external crt

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 14:24, Jens Nachtigall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop with an i855 graphic card (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 7400)
> and used to use i855crt to enable my external crt (for use with a beamer).
> This worked fine until some time ago I upgraded to etch (from sarge) and
> since then I get a white, "washed-out", external screen. An image says more
> than 1000 words:
> http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~nachtiga/bugs/screenshot_i855crt_washo
>ut.jpg (82k, take with a camera from the beamer)
>
> [
> This is what it looks like on the lcd (same snapshot)
> http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~nachtiga/bugs/screenshot_i855crt_lcd.j
>pg 136k
> ]
>
> Searching for a solution I came across this thread, which suggests that
> also some ubuntu and fedora users have the same problem:
> "i855crt - White / Saturated External Display" --
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89493
>
> Anybody seen this as well? Anybody knowing a solution?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jens
>
> PS If you need more information, I can provide them.

Hi,

I have used debian etch with a similar graphics cad and xorg-x11, and I could
switch to external monitor by pressing FN-F5, but i had to use i855crt in
debian stable and ubuntu breezy.  I don't if it would work for you, but try
that and see if it works.  Also I tried this in 2005, so it may have changed.
I855crt didn't work for me in etch then either.  I have a compaq presario
2210ca, not sure what the graphics card is, but is similar to that.

- --
Matthew <matthewjd@gmail.com>

- --
AP/STT.  Helsinki, Dec 5th, 6:22 AM.  For immediate release.

In order to allay fears about the continuity of the Linux project, Linus
Torvalds together with his manager Tove Monni have released "Linus
v2.0", affectionately known as "Kernel Hacker - The Next Generation".

Linux stock prices on Wall Street rose sharply after the announcement;
as one well-known analyst who wishes to remain anonymous says - "It
shows a long-term commitment, and while we expect a short-term decrease
in productivity, we feel that this solidifies the development in the
long run".

Other analysts downplay the importance of the event, and claim that just
about anybody could have done it.  "I'm glad somebody finally told them
about the birds and the bees" one sceptic comments cryptically.  But
even the skeptics agree that it is an interesting turn of events.

Others bring up other issues with the new version - "I'm especially
intrigued by the fact that the new version is female, and look forward
to seeing what the impact of that will be on future development.  Will
"Red Hat Linux" change to "Pink Hat Linux", for example?"
	-- Linus Torvalds announcing that he became father of a girl