Re: on a dell D820

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 15:08:53 -0500, anoop aryal wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 May 2006 13:47, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> > anoop aryal wrote:
> > >hi,
> > >
> > >i'm using unstable on dell D820.
> > >
> > >1) i can't seem to get the dvd rw drive to be recognized. if it's being
> > >recognized, i can't seem to find which device to use. ide_cd and other
> > >doodads are loaded.
> > >
> > >2) i read somewhere that the wireless card on this puppy works with the
> > >ipw3200 module. is there any chance that that would show up under module
> > >assistant?

The driver is called ipw3945. You won't find it with module assistant
because it has not been debianised yet (as far as I can tell). You have
to download the source from http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/ and follow
the instructions to build the driver. (You don't need to worry about the
ieee80211 subsystem, though; that is now included in the kernel.)

> > >3) i've got snd_hda_intel loaded but can't seem to get any sound. have
> > > alsa, will travel.

Make sure you have "alsa-base" and "alsa-utils" installed. Run
"alsaconf" as root; this should get you going. If you can't hear
anything, check the volume controls with "alsamixer".

> > >4) i've used broadcom cards before and this laptop has it too. when
> > > firmware. is there a firmware available for linux? what does the firmware
> > > give me that i wouldn't otherwise?

I am not sure about that. Your dmesg output related to the card looks OK
to me.

[...]

> > Otherwise, we need more information. Can you send us output from lspci

[...]

> 0000:09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752
> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
> 0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222 (rev
> 02)
>
> > or dmesg

[...]

> tg3.c:v3.49 (Feb 2, 2006)

[...]

> NET: Registered protocol family 10
> lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
> tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
> tg3: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

[...]

--
Regards,
          Florian