Re: on a dell D820

anoop aryal wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm using unstable on dell D820.
>
>1) i can't seem to get the dvd rw drive to be recognized. if it's being
>recognized, i can't seem to find which device to use. ide_cd and other
>doodads are loaded.
>
>2) i read somewhere that the wireless card on this puppy works with the
>ipw3200 module. is there any chance that that would show up under module
>assistant?
>
>3) i've got snd_hda_intel loaded but can't seem to get any sound. have alsa,
>will travel.
>
>4) i've used broadcom cards before and this laptop has it too. when loading
>the tg3 module, i see a message saying something about a missing firmware. is
>there a firmware available for linux? what does the firmware give me that i
>wouldn't otherwise?
>
>any help highly appreciated.

There are two websites that have tonnes of user written articles on
getting linux running on laptop's:

http://tuxmobil.org/
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Maybe on of those sites has an article that covers a Debian setup on
your specific model.

Otherwise, we need more information. Can you send us output from lspci
or dmesg? Specific details about your hardware and setup are needed
before  any recomendations can be made.