Re: After upgrading kernel, usb webcam is default sound device

Also sprach Anders Ellenshøj Andersen <andersa@ellenshoej.dk> (Mon, 17
Apr 2006 17:15:07 +0200):
> mandag 17 april 2006 16:12 skrev Richard Mittendorfer:
> > > /etc/modules is the first to get loaded right?
> >
> > I'm not sure about that. But it would be logical to make it work
> > that way. It's about putting parameters in there for loading the
> > modules if you can't find the better place to advise udev/hotplug to
> > use them. So putting "snd_intel8x0 index=0 .." there may well do the
> > trick.
>
> you mean put snd-intel8x0 index=0 into /etc/modules?
>
> I didn't know that any arguments was possible in this file, so that is
> why I  sound so confused maybe.

It's ok to use parameters there.

> [...]
> > Using index options in /etc/modprobe.d/sound would be the better
> > solution, as udevd/hotplugd read these files AFAIK.
>
> I don't have this file /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Should I create it
> myself? I  don't like creating new configuration files in /etc.. What
> is the format of  this file?

I'm not sure about this. Maybe alsa-base put it in there.

> Here is a directory listing of /etc/modprobe.d
>
> aliases              arch          display_class
> nvidia-kernel-nkc alsa-base            arch-aliases  libsane
>       pnp-hotplug
> alsa-base-blacklist  blacklist     linux-sound-base_noOSS
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one looks quite good. If alsa put some entries there, I'd say
that's the file to edit, but ..

> Anyway, since I have it up and running now, I probably don't want to
> tinker  with it any futher.

.. it's just another way to do the same thing.

> [...]
> > > The SI7012 sound card is not marked as default though, and I
> > > suspect
> >
> > ...then this one should be default. Which one gets the first device
> > then?
>
> When I blacklist the the modem and cam, the SI7012 becomes card 0, but
> it is  not marked as default. I don't know if that's an error or
> because it is the  only one, and therefore implicitly the default
> card. And in any case, it now  works in this configuration.

Oh, didn't knew there was a "default" entry somewhere. Yes, the first
card usually will be default. This should be possible to set with
alsactl or some /proc entry - don't know about.

> > > this is  why, arts still can't seem to find it (so no jingle when
> > > KDE loads).  Kaffeine/xine works fine though, which is the main
> > > thing.
> >
> > Kaffeine/xine may use /dev/dsp or bypass artsd? If a sound daemon is
> > running it would be better to use it. If the soundcard's alsa is
> > able to
>
> NOOO!! :) I would never use artsd for anything other than system
> sounds.. It  is insanely laggy and generally unstable. I gave up
> trying to use arts a long  time ago.
>
> Arts bad. Direct to alsa good.

No need to tell me... ;-) esd isn't any better. dmix (alsa) is quite ok.

I usually don't have more than one application that produce/records
noise - there's no need for such a beast. With prof. (multitrack-)
recording or something like that, such a sounddaemon is absolutely
useless for sure.

However, lots of people expect systemsounds as well as sound from their
currently open applications. So, these things _are_ advantageous in such
environments.

> Thanks for all the help.

np.

> Anders