Re: ACPI: which modules to unload prior to suspend to ram?

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Declan Mullen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sometimes my notebook fails to resume from a suspend to ram. Maybe it
>> is because I have kernel modules loaded that don't support suspend
>> reliably. Which modules do you suggest that I unload before
>> suspending ? Below, I've included the list of loaded modules as
>> reported by "lsmod".
>>
>> My system is a Dell Inspiron 8100 (with ATI graphics) running Mepis
>> 3.4-3 (with a 2.6.15 kernel). I do my ACPI suspend to ram from the F1
>>  console while KDE is running on F7. I've disabled DRI in the
>> "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". I'm using "acpid" (version 1.0.4) which I've
>> configured to call hibernate (version 1.12) to do the ACPI suspend 3.
>> When the resume does fail, the F1 console remains blank and the
>> system totally locked up.
>
> Sometimes the problem with the blank console after suspend-to-ram can be
> solved by installing the package "vbetool" and activating the related
> option in hibernate.conf.

Good point.

Declan, try this:

After making sure vbetool is installed, log into a console on vt1.  Type:
  vbetool post

- but don't hit return.

Suspend/resume.  When everything's stabilized (the disk's stopped working),
if you don't have a screen, press Enter.

If the problem is just the blank console, this should bring it up.  I've
_always_ had this problem with my Inspiron 6000 when hibernating (my
machine doesn't do "suspend") from a console (it didn't used to be a
problem if I did it from my KDE session, though it broke with some kernel
upgrade, and I added "vbetool post" permanently to the resume script).
--
derek