Re: X using up to 100% of cpu while moving windows

Hello,

Florian, many thanks for helping that far.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:07:53 +0100
Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I had hoped that maybe someone who has an ATI card would react to this
> with specific advice. I can only make some general suggestions:

Guess it would have to be someone with an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility to
actually being able to tell me the same problem (as said, it's a
thinkpad r40 some quite common model, i believe)

> Your xorg.conf seems OK to me (and it worked before). I think the
> errors and warnings above are unrelated to the problem. Nevertheless
> I would temporarily comment out the glcore module and the synaptics
> section, just to have a "cleaner" situation until you find the
> problem. For some accelerated video drivers it is specifically
> recommended to deactivate glcore, but I don't know if this is the
> case for your ATI card.

Okay, this is worth a try. Though i've got the 'direct rendering'
problem solved. The solution was exchanging the libglu1-mesa package
with the libglu-xorg package... don't ask me why the first one was
installed. At least now i'm back to having around 900 frames per second
running glxgears and 'direct rendering' when grepping glxinfo. Though
the problem persists, but it seems to have dropped a bit. At least on
fluxbox and openbox i now have to move the windows a LOT faster to
actually generate the 100% (using opaque window movement). On gnome and
enlightenment dr17 (cvs) the problem is still of notice though. I keep
asking myself whether i've just missed it all the times before, but i
can't really believe that's true. Any further suggestions

> One thing to try is to go back to a more basic configuration and see
> if direct rendering works then. For this I would comment out the
> composite extension
>
> #Section "Extensions"
> #	Option	    "Composite" "true"
> #EndSection
>
> and set the default depth to 16
>
> Section "Screen"
>   	Identifier "Default Screen"
>   	Device     "radeon"
>   	Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
>   	DefaultDepth     16

I had both already tried before, but it doesn't really have any effect.

> Then restart X and see if direct rendering becomes active. If not it
> might be worthwhile to play with the "VideoRam" and "AGPMode" options
> in the device section, after reading "man radeon".

I'll try that in one of the following days, thanks.

> If all fails you might want to start a new thread with "direct
> rendering problem" and the exact model of your graphics card in the
> subject line. (People often only scan the subjects and might
> therefore not have realized that your problem concerns an ATI card
> about which they know something.)

Thank you, again, for your help. Hope i get this problem solved fast,
as it's an really annoying issue.

Martin

--
Martin Hauser <mh@alla.franken.de>
GPG-Encrypted mail preferred, KEY: 0D459A72