Re: X using up to 100% of cpu while moving windows

Hello,

> [...]
>
> It might be that an upgrade to Xorg broke your hardware acceleration
> and now the CPU has to do rendering tasks which were taken care of by
> the graphics card earlier. You can check if you have direct rendering
> enabled with "glxinfo|grep direct". A number of people have reported
> problems with ATI cards and Xorg 6.9 recently (google the archives of
> debian-laptop and debian-user), so maybe you will have to downgrade to
> Xorg 6.8. If you need more detailed advice you should post your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the output of
>
> egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Okay, this has put me on the right trail at least, glxinfo is telling
me the following:

mh@phoenix:/data/unsorted% glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

Okay, onwards to errors from the Xorg logfile:

mh@phoenix:/data/unsorted% egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glcore
(EE) Failed to load module "glcore" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module synaptics
(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
disabled (WW) RADEON(0): Option "HWCursor" is not used
(EE) No Input driver matching `synaptics'

Below there is my xorg.conf. The strange thing is that it has worked on Xorg 6.9 for a good
while and therefore i can't really understand what suddenly broke it. Maybe the wrong libs
are installed or something like that ?

Thanks for your help so far and thanks for any suitable solution.

Martin

# xorg.conf (Xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
using # values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
*only* # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
xserver-xorg # package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
updated # again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen         "Default Screen"
	InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Files"
			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "bitmap"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "ddc"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "int10"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "v4l"
	Load  "vbe"
	Load  "evdev"
	Load  "glcore"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "CoreKeyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xorg"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc104"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "CorePointer"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option	    "SendCoreEvents" "true"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option	    "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync    28.0 - 49.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 72.0
	Option	    "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Default Screen"
	Device     "radeon"
	Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     1
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     4
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     8
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     15
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option	    "Composite" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "radeon"
	Driver "radeon"
	VideoRam 32768
	Option "Accel" "on"
	Option "AGPMode" "4"
	Option "AGPFastWrite" "on"
	Option "EnablePageFlip""on"
	Option "HWCursor" "on"
	Option "DDCMode" "on"
	Option "UseFBDev" "off"
	Option "BusType" "AGP"
	Option "DynamicClocks" "True"
	Option "backingstore" "true"
EndSection

--
Martin Hauser <mh@alla.franken.de>
GPG-Encrypted mail preferred, KEY: 0D459A72