Font Problems -- Helvetica

I haven't get the Helvetica Font on Ubuntu; is there some way to automatically link to the Arial font with the use of a fonts.dir, fonts.alias, or some other file, thereby tricking applications into using Arial? And how would I go about doing that? I'm fairly new to linux, and (thus) also using fonts on Xorg86.

One of my programs hangs when I try to run it. (display, from the imagemagick toolbox; it complains it cannot find the helvetica font and then stops).

Cheers,
Johan