Re: easy laptop install?

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:21:26AM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I know this list is committed to debian on laptops, but see quite a few
> references to debian derivatives, so perhaps this is not entirely OT.
>
> When I install on a desktop box, I can be reasonably sure to get most of
> a working system.  Sound sometimes needs a tweak, but generally
> everything is at least useable.  Not so on laptops.  I have been using a
> couple of older thinkpads (560 and 600E) for some time, but never been

I'm running sarge on a 600E and I did get sound to work.  The best
resource I could find is http://www.linux-laptop.net.  That is where
I found the trick to get sound to work.  Unfortunately, the serial port
has other issues (something about needing to enable the super i/o chip
in some non-standard way) and I haven't needed it enough yet to dig into that.
Many laptops have model-specific packages to support their hardware
quirks.

> able to get sound, modem, etc working, and sometimes when I close the

The modem is also an issue that I haven't had the motivation to pursue.
I'd be interested in solutions to this.

> lid, applications are frozen when I re-open it.  I have now inherited

Unless you run a very recent kernel/distribution, suspend/resume is one
of those issues that is almost guaranteed not to work.  I have disabled
it in both laptops (600E and Dell 8600).

> from my son this Dell Inspiron 8200.  The same issues apply, and the

This is quite similar to the 8600.  There are quite a few reports on
the above-referenced web site.

> system freezes if I close the lid.  I am sure I could overcome many of

Just disable suspend/resume.  Yes, not the best solution but a quick
one.

> these problems if I dedicate two or three days to each, but I don't have
> enough time for that.  So the question is this:

That is the trade-off with linux on laptops, unfortunately...

> Are there distros that install on laptops with as much success as
> standard net-install does on a desktop?  I know that some live cd's

I vaguely remember some project to simplify installations on laptops.
It went something like grouping all the drivers, laptop-specific
modules/packages, configurations etc... into menu-chosen entries
so that if you wanted to install on a, say, Dell 8600, you would
choose that from a menu and all the appropriate packages and
configuration files would be automatically loaded/installed.

Does anyone remember this and know the current status?

> overcome hardware issues better than the normal install.  I originally
> arrived at debian via knoppix3.1, for example.  I keep seeing ubuntu
> mentioned here.  I have reached the point when I would settle for a
> derived system that worked even against my preference to keep all
> machines on debian.
>
> Alternatively/additionally, should I backtrack to a 2.4 kernel?  udev
> seems to require a huge amount of tailoring of things that used to
> happen automatically, and again, I don't really have time to learn a
> whole new set of manual configurations -- in fact it seems to me like a
> step backwards to have to write a configuration for every device by hand
> (or perhaps I've misunderstood how udev works).
>
> Any guidance would be welcome.

My main laptop (the 8600) is still running woody with a 2.4 kernel,
although I'm slowly configuring sarge on a separate disk with a 2.6
kernel.  This way, even though sarge is not quite there yet compared
to the massive configuration/customization I did on woody, I can
always swap to the known old system for what doesn't work on sarge yet.

Yes, it would be nice if a dist-upgrade worked flawlessly, but this
way, I'm safe.

A.