Re: Deb-Sid: last updates: BAD:pcmcia,wireless-ipw2200,ogg123

On 2/5/06, Dan Elliott <c_reply_to@nospam.net> wrote:
> I ran these two programs and saw:
>
> > $ apt-cache policy pcmcia-modules
> pcmcia-modules:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: (none)
> Version table:
> W: couldn't stat source package list ...
>
> > $ apt-cache policy kernel-pcmcia-modules
> W: couldn't stat source package list ...

You need to add the kernel version:
$ apt-cache policy pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386
$ apt-cache policy kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386

> I do have orinoco modules at /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/.  Does this shed some light on my configuration?  Do I need to install a new or old pcmcia-modules package?

orinoco.o will be there from kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386.  If
orinoco_cs.o is in the same directory, you probably have
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386 installed.  The package
pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386 will put orinoco.o and orinoco_cs.o in a
different directory.  You can use apt-file or "dpkg -L <package>" to
see what files are where.

> Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> writes:
> > I don't know if there is a "graceful" fix.  And I haven't seen a
> > response yet to my bugreport, nearly two months later.  As for
> > prevention, that's more difficult.  My plan is to hold my kernel at
> > its current version unless there's a problem that I know needs to be
> > patched.
> Sounds like a fine idea.  For me, this mess began when I wanted to install a couple elisp packages that could no longer be found (on the server) by the installer.  I dread updating the list of available packages because of the many updates apt will suggest I install.  You avoid installing kernels and drivers by rejecting all suggested updates and such and only selecting the packages (and their dependencies) you were looking for in the first place?

I recently switched from using apt-get directly to using aptitude,
which makes holding packages easy.  It also gives you more control
during upgrades, since you don't have to automatically select all
upgradable packages for an upgrade, and you can change your mind up to
pretty much the last minute.

> Is there a mechanism to step back to a previous configuration in case things go screwy?  How about for really important stuff like kernels and drivers?

If you haven't cleaned your cache, the old .deb files should still be
around.  Look in /var/cache .  You can move the files you want to a
location where they won't be removed and then tell apt-get or aptitude
to install from a local file.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh