Re: Deb-Sid: last updates: BAD:pcmcia,wireless-ipw2200,ogg123

On 2/3/06, Dan Elliott <spam-stinks@nospam.net> wrote:
> My problem is very similar to the issue described in http://www.nabble.com/Fwd:-orinoco-wireless-on-sid-t745278.html.  However, I cannot resolve my problem in the same manner because I do not see another version of orinoco.o on my disk - however, my skill does not put me above suggestions on where to look.

Do you have pcmcia-modules or kernel-pcmcia-modules installed?  The
latter seems to be "preferred", and is what I initially had installed.
 The former, however, includes a working version of orinoco.o.  You
can only have one or the other installed.

$ apt-cache policy pcmcia-modules
$ apt-cache policy kernel-pcmcia-modules

> I am somewhat new to Debian and do not know how to *gracefully* fix this (e.g. using Debian packages to go forward or backward in versions).  I cannot do networking with my laptop, but I can read a large SD card with it.  I would really appreciate any help I might receive in fixing this problem and (if possible) learning how to prevent this from happening again.

I don't know if there is a "graceful" fix.  And I haven't seen a
response yet to my bugreport, nearly two months later.  As for
prevention, that's more difficult.  My plan is to hold my kernel at
its current version unless there's a problem that I know needs to be
patched.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh