Software Suspend on kernels greater than 2.6.12 don't work

Hello People,

I have a laptop with / and swap on LVM.
I have been using custom compiled kernel from Debian sources because
Debian doesn't have a kernel for laptops.

Here's my problem:
On kernels greater than 2.6.12, Software Suspend "swsusp" (in-line
kernel) doesn't work. It initiates the suspend and then fails saying
that it doesn't find the swap device. I've checked it with every
version above 2.6.12 i.e. .13, .14 and .15.
All have the same problem.
If I try to use initramfs to generate the initrd image, the kernel
doesn't boot. So I use yaird. Do it have to do with the initrd image ?
But the 2.6.12 kernel's initrd image has been generated with initramfs
and that works perfectly fine.

Have other people found similar issue ? How can I fix it ?

Thanks,
rrs