Re: PCMCIA Card that supports WPA 802.11g - Exists?

On Tue, January 17, 2006 11:47 pm, Greg Cockburn wrote:
> is there such a card that works in Linux, that supports WPA-PSK, on
> 802.11g?

> I have an internal card in my laptop, USB, that is 802.11b and
> supports WEP. Works fairly well.
> A PCMCIA card that is 802.11g and supports WEP. Works very well with
> in kernel support. (no WPA-PSK though)

> I have searched hi and low, but I seem to keep failing to find a
> supported PCMCIA Card for WPA-PSK, that works in Linux.

> Is this true? Please someone proove me wrong, show me a card that
> supports this configuration.

> I see PCI and Mini-PCI cards are supported, but no PCMCIA. Not sure
> about USB, haven't looked that hard for USB.

The best supported wireless cards I've found are those based on the
Atheros chipsets.  These are 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g cards, that
support 54/108 Mbps, SuperG modes, and 128-bit WEP and WPA.  Linux
support is provided via the madwifi project, and WPA support is
provided by the wpa_supplicant project.

A list of manufacturers and cards is available at
http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts

I've been using a D-Link DWL-G650 rev B2, and a NetGEAR WG511T
successfully with a DI-624 rev C3 router.  Laptops run Windows XP,
Debian testing and unstable, and FreeBSD 6.

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]