Re: sony tx1xp fan control

I'm sending this back to the list as it might be useful for archive readers

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:09:42 +0000
Minty <mintywalker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/06, Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro> wrote:
> > I do 'echo 3 > /proc/acpi/fan/FAN/state' to stop it
> > (which also puts it back in auto mode). The sub-dirs
> > will vary, but you need to find the corresponding state
> > file of your fan (somewhere in /proc/acpi/) and echo
> > the state (which also depends on the laptop).
> > By the way, i have a HP Omnibook 6000
> See, that is the problem.
> /proc/acpi/fan
> is empty.  Which I'm guessing means that the acpi on this machine
> cannot detect the fans.
> but I was kind of hoping someone would have a fix ...

Do you have a 'fan' module loaded? If not what do you have in the kernel messages about acpi?

You could post the output of 'lsmod' and 'dmesg'

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)