Re: Debian repair reload drama howto?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:09:28 -0700
"high_desert" <hidesert@cox.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies!
> Just posting an update while I try stuff and search for more help on-line as
> needed.
> Got the tomsrtbt floppy and booted off it (unable to create this floppy from
> Windows as there is no true DOS mode anymore - why doesn't a rawrite version
> exist?)

Taken from http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

"rawwrite (or rawrite) is the essential utility for creating boot and root disks for installing Linux. Unfortunately, it required DOS to operate, so here is the long awaited WIN32 version. It works under Windows NT, 2K, XP, 95, 98 and ME."

> Figure I'll go in there and chroot and re lilo it. I see both those commands
> are part of the tomsrtbt floppy suite - now just to figure out the actual
> sequence and syntax.
> - Zake

I restored a lilo like this (the # means a root console):

#mount -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
#mount -o bind /dev /mnt/hda2/dev
#chroot /mnt/hda2
#mount /proc
#lilo

This was on a Xandros so YMMV... Just replace hda2 with your root partition. Also, if you have more than just one partition for the system you might need to mount those as well. You will need to, at least, have access to /etc and /sbin, but other directories might be needed as well

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)