Re: bringing up PCMCIA wireless interface

Krzysztof Wilk <chris.wilk@gridwisetech.com> writes:

> Dan Christensen writes:
>
>> I've got a PCMCIA wireless card in my laptop, and I'd like to figure
>> out the Debian way of arranging that it be brought up when the card is
>> inserted (including on boot).  I only use the card on my home network,
>> which uses WEP.
>> In the old days, I used pcmcia-cs, and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
>> contained a call to "ifup $1" in start_fn().
>
> In Linux 2.6 usage of pcmcia-cs is deprecated. In my case (D-Link DWL
> G650+ PCMCIA card) it used to hang laptop occasionally.
> AFAIK, Linux 2.6 handles PCMCIA devices without additional tools.

My understanding was that pcmciautils replaces pcmcia-cs.  Do you mean
that "ifup $DEVICE" is called automatically without *any* additional
tools?  Not even hotplug?

>> Then, I switched to using hotplug and put
>>   mapping hotplug
>>           script grep
>>           map wlan0
>
> In my case hotplug service probes for USB, PCI and ISA (ISA PNP)
> devices. In my laptop I have only USB devices and they are handled properly.

With hotplug installed, ifup is called for me.  But my understanding
is that hotplug is deprecated with udev replacing it.  But without
hotplug, ifup is not called.

So my question is, using current Debian testing or unstable and udev
(which implies no hotplug) how should PCMCIA devices be ifup'd?

Dan