Re: bringing up PCMCIA wireless interface

Hello Dan,

I've got a PCMCIA wireless card in my laptop, and I'd like to figure
out the Debian way of arranging that it be brought up when the card is
inserted (including on boot).  I only use the card on my home network,
which uses WEP.

In the old days, I used pcmcia-cs, and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
contained a call to "ifup $1" in start_fn().
In Linux 2.6 usage of pcmcia-cs is deprecated. In my case (D-Link DWL
G650+ PCMCIA card) it used to hang laptop occasionally.
AFAIK, Linux 2.6 handles PCMCIA devices without additional tools.

Then, I switched to using hotplug and put

  mapping hotplug
          script grep
          map wlan0
In my case hotplug service probes for USB, PCI and ISA (ISA PNP) devices. In my laptop I have only USB devices and they are handled properly.

Now, I've upgraded to udev 0.079-1, which conflicts with hotplug,
and ifup doesn't seem to get called anymore.  I also tried moving
from pcmcia-cs to pcmciautils (version 012-1), and that didn't help.
I'm running a self-compiled 2.6.13.3 kernel.
No idea, I never used udev or other dynamic devices filesystem.

My working configuration consists of the following elements:
- Linux 2.6.14 (patched with suspend2 2.2-rc9)
- ndiswrapper 1.5 (there were glitches with rel. 1.6 and 1.7, probably due to pcmcia-cs usage)
- ifup/ifdown custom configuration
- in the past I used wpa_supplicant, but I gave up in favor of customised ifup/ifdown configuration

Best,
Chris
--
Chris Wilk                            chris.wilk@gridwisetech.com
Consultant

* GridwiseTech Globus Grid Training, 18-20 January, Cracow, Poland:
------------------>  http://www.gridwisetech.com/globus-toolkit/