Re: Bash script for wireless

Isolate arbitrary output ?
You may want to consider using (g)awk and sed.

http://hal.csd.auth.gr/thelug/faqs/gawk_toc.html#SEC1
http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/html_chapter/sed_toc.html

best regards,
Maarten C. Stol

John O'Hagan wrote:

Hi,

Calling all scripting experts! I'm trying to write a script which will present a list of available wireless networks as a menu, from which the user can select one to connect to.

I want to take selected parts of the output of `iwlist scan` as variables, but have been unable to find out how to do this in online scripting guides. I know how to use grep etc. to find known bits of output, but not how to isolate arbitrary output, for example ESSID names.

Thanks,

John