Re: orinoco wireless with WEP under kernel 2.6.14-2-686

On Monday,  2 January 2006 at 11:28:54 -0800, Darren Weber wrote:
> A new router has options for WEP and WPA protocols.  Is there any reason why
> your router would not allocate an IP under DHCP using one or another of

It does allocate IPs to a mac and also to a windoze laptop, and the dhcp
is working fine for the three or five linux boxes on wired connections
too.  The problem only occurs with the orinoco card on my laptop.  That
is why I suspected initially that my set-up was wrong, and afterwards
that 1 or more modules may be absent.

[...]
> You might try building the kernel with different versions of the
> orinoco driver.

That sounds like more work than I am prepared to invest in this.

> I know
> the version in the 2.6.8 kernel is working for me with WEP.  I can tell you
> that I cannot use WPA because the wpa_supplicant package requires roaming
> access on the driver, which is not working for me in the orinoco_cs driver
> built with Debian kernel source for 2.6.8 (it doesn't have the ioctl hooks
> for roaming etc., so wpa_supplicant fails to interact with the card

I don't think I fully understand that.  What does roaming mean exactly?
I certainly get three local stations listed by 'iwlist eth0 scan' (one
of which is mine, of course).

Thanks for your comments, but I have pretty much given up hope of
solving this issue.

--
richard