Re: orinoco wireless with WEP under kernel 2.6.14-2-686

A new router has options for WEP and WPA protocols.  Is there any reason why your router would not allocate an IP under DHCP using one or another of these security protocols?  Is there anything you can reset on the router end of the communication?  Have you learned anything from the -v option to ifup?  Seems like you need a low level snooper of some kind.  You might try building the kernel with different versions of the orinoco driver.  I know the version in the 2.6.8 kernel is working for me with WEP.  I can tell you that I cannot use WPA because the wpa_supplicant package requires roaming access on the driver, which is not working for me in the orinoco_cs driver built with Debian kernel source for 2.6.8 (it doesn't have the ioctl hooks for roaming etc., so wpa_supplicant fails to interact with the card properly).  It may be that more recent kernel source packages have an updated orinoco driver that does have the roaming feature enabled.  The orinoco driver is not an option in the -D list for wpa_supplicant.

This problem might be particular to my hardware, but I think it's the driver.  The hardware does have roaming and WEP functionality under winXP (not sure about WPA).  I have a DELL precision M50, which has a builtin PCMCIA wireless card, they call it a TrueMobile 1150, which is not listed on the ndiswrapper site because there are no .inf drivers with the DELL driver download.  The system shipped with winXP, so I have some experience of what it's like to have manufactuers provide good drivers.  I run the system as a dual boot winXP/Debian system, although I now work entirely in Debian, happily for the most part, but I really do notice the lack of manufacturer driver support for linux.

Best, Darren

On 1/2/06, Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
On Sunday,  1 January 2006 at 15:51:18 -0800, Darren Weber wrote:
> I have an orinoco PCMCIA installed also, using Debian sarge.  The entry in
> my /e/n/i looks like:
>
> # The wireless interface
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>     name Wireless LAN card
>     # wireless-* options are implemented by the wireless-tools package
>     wireless-mode managed
>     wireless_essid <YOURIDHERE>
>     wireless-key XXXXXXXXXX
>
> Maybe the indentation of the additional items below the iface line makes a
> difference.

I believe it does not, from what I remember of the man page.  Mine is
indented with two spaces rather than a tab, but all whitespace is
ignored AFAIR.

> The length of the key depends on the encryption, this one is
> 64bit, another one I have is 128bit.

Mine is 128 bit

> dnlweber:/home/dweber# iwconfig eth1
>
> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"XXXXXX"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:14:6C:1D:37:02
>           Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:XXXX-XXXX-XX
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=23/92  Signal level=-65 dBm  Noise level=-88 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:2
>           Tx excessive retries:14  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> Note that here the key has '-' elements, but the key in /e/n/i doesn't.

This is also irrelevant:  I've tried both with and without in /e/n/i and
the output of iwconfig always puts in the hyphens.

> I cannot get the
>
> iwlink eth1 scan
>
> working.  Did you do something in particular to get that functionality?

I'm afraid not.

> This web site below says the driver does not support roaming (the hardware
> does have this functionality under winXP)

That surprises me.  But I never use gatesware, so have no relevant experience.
Sorry I cannot help really.  I still have not got the card and driver to
work with encryption...

--
richard