Re: whole lot of ACPI problems with self compiled kernel

Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2005 16:12 schrieb Lukas Ruf:
> > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> [2005-01-22 13:27]:

[...]

> > I tried this (kernel 2.6.9 from kernel.org with stable software
> > suspend patch for it) at all it gives me is:
>
> I am running 2.6.10-ac9 with swuswp2-2.1.5.14-for-2.6.10 with 1GB of
> RAM and a swap partition of 1.6GB on an IBM T40p.
>
> Initially, I have had similar problems.  They went away when I edited
> /etc/sound/

Hello Lukas,

what in there? I have only an "events" directory in there with
configuration files for GNOME sound events (like what sample is to be
played on a certian event). I cannot see how that relates to my problem.

> > CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND_DEFAULT_RESUME2="swap:/dev/hda7"
>
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is this your swap device?

"/dev/hda7" is my swap device, but I just used the notation that is shown
in the HOWTO at the software suspend 2 webpage at berlios.

> I wrote in mine '/dev/hda5' simply.

Ah, I got another hint, that it might work this way and the original
software suspend implementation which made it into the 2.6 kernel uses
"swap:/dev/hda5" instead. But this would oppose the documentation I
found. Well I try it nevertheless as documentation might be wrong.

> > Like software suspend 1 it doesn't seem to like swap partition. But
> > to me it just seems perfectly fine.
>
> what is the size of your swap partition?  Is there room for current
> swap usage + memory image?

1003MB. My ThinkPad T23 has 384 MB RAM... usually swap space isnt used at
all or not a lot at least:

Mem:        386124     306684      79440          0       4948     134548
-/+ buffers/cache:     167188     218936
Swap:       979924       2764     977160

> > Well I put enough hours into this for now. I might try something else
> > at a later time.
>
> Don't give up!

Well I won't, not yet. But I took a break. When something does not work I
often want to run with my head through a wall (well I don't know whether
you have that idiom in english but I hope you get what I mean) and then I
realize that it is better to give it a break, ask for hints and such
instead of doing it the hard way ;-)

Regards,