Re: setting up network

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:55:44 -0500, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
> If you're not averse to a little bit of hand editing, this is how I do
> it:
>
> In /etc/network/interfaces
> --------------------------
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 10.12.14.16
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
> --------------------------
>
> Then when I'm in a place like a hotel, I comment out the static
> entries and remove the comment from the dhcp, to wit:
>
> --------------------------
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> #iface eth0 inet static
> #        address 10.12.14.16
> #        netmask 255.255.255.0
> --------------------------
>
> Then "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0"
>
> Of course, since you're using a pcmcia network card, you could just
> make the change before plugging in your card and when the card is
> inserted it will load the new configuration.
>
> Curt-
>
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 14:31, Pollywog was heard to say:
> > Thanks, I saw something about the map scheme when I was searching
> > for answers to my problem, but I found it rather confusing.  I will
> > try this if the 'dhclient eth0' command fails to connect me.  The
> > information you posted will be very helpful.
> --

You could also extend the approach to doing schemes or themes inside
the /etc/network/interfaces file for wireless and wired networks.  I
travel with laptops to several settings that vary between wireless and
wired.  I have a set of schemes that load different wireless setups
like essid, key, etc and then you can extend the above commands even
more by calling a scheme with the ifup command.  On my laptop it works
very well for bringing up a variety of wired and wireless network
configurations without having to install a second package or write
scripts.

Here is a snippet of my /etc/network/interfaces file,

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface home inet dhcp
wireless-essid yyyyyy
wireless-key xxxxxxxxxx

iface tmobile inet dhcp
wireless-essid tmobile

iface eds inet dhcp
wireless-essid aaaaaa
wireless-key ddddddddd

I used to have a stanza setup for a static IP thing at a colo I worked
at with a wired connection called "work" as well.  So when I want to
bring up a specific interface I visit, I just do "ifup eth1=work" or
eds or whatever.

If I go somewhere like a hotel I have not connected at before, I've
found 99% of the time they use dhcp so its pretty easy to modify the
script or just use a manual setup to make things work and get a sense
of the requirements.  Often hotels have printouts on the wireless
setups or how broadband works in a room.  Usually this information can
be easily modified to a /etc/network/interfaces script if you are
gonna be there for awhile.

--
Michael Perry
meperry@gmail.com