Re: setting up network

If you're not averse to a little bit of hand editing, this is how I do
it:

In /etc/network/interfaces
--------------------------
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.12.14.16
        netmask 255.255.255.0
--------------------------

Then when I'm in a place like a hotel, I comment out the static
entries and remove the comment from the dhcp, to wit:

--------------------------
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#iface eth0 inet static
#        address 10.12.14.16
#        netmask 255.255.255.0

Then "ifdown eth0" and "ifup eth0"

Of course, since you're using a pcmcia network card, you could just
make the change before plugging in your card and when the card is
inserted it will load the new configuration.

Curt-

On Sunday 23 January 2005 14:31, Pollywog was heard to say:
--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history